Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinstall with same DVD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanGilbreth

Technical User
Oct 24, 2004
I'm thinking of uninstalling Vista and reinstalling XP until a couple of months have passed. As I own a retail version, am I allowed to uninstall now and reinstall as many times as I wish using the same DVD?

Thanks!

As long as you only have one version of Vista installed per Product Key then there is not going to be a problem. Even if you were to remove it from one machine and install it on another machine that should not be a problem either.

All Microsoft worry about is where the same Product Key ends up being used, at the same time, on different machines.

Any problems that you may encounter (probably none) would be easily fixed by Microsoft's Activation support help.

If you are having particular problems with Vista why don't you start a new thread and see if they can be worked out?

I may be wrong, but I think a single Vista Product Key can only be activated twice (on two separate machines or whatever), and any additional ones require a call to MS.

I'm sure I've heard that somewhere, but unless it's confirmed, treat it as a theory.

this depends on lic type.. i have installed and activated on same laptop 3 times.. wodering if that ment i had a problem with microsoft lic numbers i rang them for reassurance explained i had broken vista twice they said no problem for the lic i had

hope it helps u

"Practice makes Perfect"
CPO rt'd RN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back