Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reinstall Exchange server after IIS problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vespa61

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2002
US
I run SBS 2000 sp3 with Exchange sp2 - last night after making some changes with Message Queing, the SMTP service would stop, no errors in the event log about it, and when I would try and restart it I would get an error that the service was already running. I removed the SMTP service from te add/remove componets, then reinstalled it. The reistall also reinstalled part of the Internet Information Server - now my Exchange Routing Engine Service Does Not Start. On Microsoft's kb it said that the only resolution is to reinstall Exchange. Does anyone have any alternative ideas/solutions, I DO WANT TO REINSTALL EXCHANGE!

Thanks,
Ryan

While there are always alternate methods for recovering an Exchange problem, which typically depend on your pre-existing DR plans, MS is right here. The easiest, and quickest, fix is to reinstall Exchange and restore the data.

Anytime you modify the IIS settings and services, you run the risk of having to do an Exchange recovery operation. Exchange 2000 is too reliant upon the IIS services, as opposed to Exch 5.0-5.5, to remove and reinstall the services without irreparably damaging the install. I hope you had a good backup of the data, preferably using Exmerge (makes small office restores immensely faster), and AD permissions settings.

Good luck.

grosenacker, thanks for the reassurance - reinstalling exchange was the easiest! It took less than an hour and while I was at I cleaned up the AD and corrected the errors in the event viewer that I could never get rid of before.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back