Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

regular Windows 7 user - denied access to running application on AD network drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

djmoulton

Programmer
Apr 28, 2009
CA
we are trying to migrate from Windows XP SP3 to Windows 7
the application in question works for users using Windows XP but not in Windows 7 SP1
note - if I copy the application to the Windows 7 user's desktop - the application does work
note - as a domain administrator - the application works on Windows 7

Is the application you're referring to just an .EXE that doesn't require installation?

There are several ways to get around that, if that's the case. The easiest is to disable User Account Control and reboot. Of course, that makes the workstation a little less secure (end users with admin rights are more likely to unknowingly allow installations to occur, since they are no longer prompted to confirm them). But for just one workstation in your environment, it's not what I would consider disastrous.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Along with User Account Control, you may have to tweak the user's "Internet options" (Yes, internet options) in control panel, on the "Security" tab or possibly the "Advanced" tab. They can also apply to intranet items.
Sorry, I forget exactly where, but those settings can allow or restrict applications from running on networks.

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

I have tried all these ideas but none solves my problem
the app is an .exe - it tries to access a remote Oracle database on a Linux server that is on our network

Does the user have sufficient rights, such as write, delete or update? Maybe the app is trying to write some sort of temp file to the current (or for that matter, some other) directory on the local drive.

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

Dave,
It was explained that copying the application to the local desktop works. It just won't run from the network location. It is a good idea, though, to try giving the user write access at that network location as a test.

djmoulton,
I just want to verify, you completely disabled User Account Control and rebooted? Also, just in case, right-click the .EXE on the network and go to Properties. On the General tab right below the "Advanced" button, you may or may not see an "Unblock" button. If you do, click it and try running the application again. The feature is talked about here:

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

yes the user has write access to the network location also the application has worked under Windows XP SP3
I have double checked the UAC - it has been set to never notify
also is this "Unblock" button used in Windows 7 - I did not see it at the properties of the application

Then I'm going to mention 'Internet Settings' again. There are selections in that will disallow running applications from a server unless they are allowed. Start with 'Custom Level' options on the 'Security' -> 'Local Intranet' tab.
Also, firewall settings are specific to not only the application, but where it is executed.
You need to have firewall exceptions for both (as an example) c:\appdir\application.exe and f:\appdir\application.exe in order for them both to run. Especially since it sounds like you're connecting to the database using ports.

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

tried the "internet setting" solution again with no luck
I beginning to think its some sort of group policy setting either UAC or network security

Are you getting any kind of error when it fails? If you're familiar with the Sysinternals utility called Process Monitor, you can use it to detect "access denied" errors while the application is running from the network.

Another thing to try if you haven't already is to manually map the network location to a drive letter. Then run the application using that path.

Also, for sh*ts and giggles, try to open cmd.exe as an Administrator, then execute the .exe from the command line.

-Carl

I have tried the program from a mapped drive & unc path - same problem
it doesn't work in cmd.exe as administrator as well

basic problem - any standard windows 7 user running a network executable which is trying to open a network connection
either a oracle database or a advantage database or even LDAP file

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back