Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Regular expression

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssharmai

Programmer
Mar 16, 2012
US
Hello,
I am new to perl and trying to parse some reports. I am trying to get organism's name from the description.
Its working when field is like this:

ATP synthase F1, alpha subunit [Acidimicrobium ferrooxidans DSM 10331].
I am using this:
if($desc =~ /\[(.*?)\]/){$org = $1;}

But its not working when field is little complicated:
enoyl-[acyl-carrier-protein] reductase [NADH] 2 [Silicibacter sp. TrichCH4B].

I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks
Shalabh

Hi

And what would you like from there ?

To get the last matching part just [highlight #fcc]change [tt]if[/tt] to [tt]while[/tt][/highlight] and [highlight #cfc]add a [tt]g[/tt] flag[/highlight] :
Perl:
[highlight #fcc][b]while[/b][/highlight] [teal]([/teal][navy]$desc[/navy] [teal]=~[/teal] [green][i]/\[(.*?)\]/[/i][/green][highlight #cfc][b]g[/b][/highlight][teal])[/teal] [teal]{[/teal]
  [navy]$org[/navy] [teal]=[/teal] [navy]$1[/navy][teal];[/teal]
[teal]}[/teal]
But if you know that there are [highlight #ffc]no more words after that last part[/highlight], just [highlight #ccf]anchor the expression to the end[/highlight] and [highlight #fcf]forbid brackets[/highlight] ( [] ) :
Perl:
[b]if[/b] [teal]([/teal][navy]$desc[/navy] [teal]=~[/teal] [green][i]/\[([highlight #ccf][^\[\]][/highlight]*?)\][highlight #ffc]\W[/highlight][highlight #fcf]$[/highlight]/[/i][/green][teal])[/teal] [teal]{[/teal]
  [navy]$org[/navy] [teal]=[/teal] [navy]$1[/navy][teal];[/teal]
[teal]}[/teal]

Feherke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back