Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Registry Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitrous75

Technical User
May 13, 2002
US
Is the registry saved on your hard drive? I need to know because I have a problem that may be some type of registry issue, and rather than editing, I would like to do a hard drive format/new windows xp install as I was thinking of doing it anyway, to get rid of old files...

If you wanna know what my issue is check out this link...
thread779-273268

Nitrous- I've been following your other forum and sorry to see you in DSL Hell, I've used satellite, dsl, and now cable and cable rocks, anyway concerning your above post yes the registry is saved to the hard drive in various files throughout the system including the software, system, default, security, sam, files. They are stored with subkeys called hives that include other inportant computer config info. If your reformatting and reinstalling you can be assured that the old registry will be overwritten. You can save your registry by doing a backup in properties by right-clicking your hard drive.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back