Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

registry problem 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

link9

Programmer
Nov 28, 2000
US
I deleted a key from the registry for software that was just uninstalled from my machine --

Now, I'm getting fatal errors on cold boots -- but if I boot up in safe mode and then restart, everything runs fine. It's driving me crazy --

So here's what I did. I re-made the key entry in the registry -- just the root entry -- the one that I deleted altogether (it was all the "register this software" crap) -- and then I reinstalled the software, and the software found the key that I made and made more entries underneath it.

To the best of my recollection, the thing now looks EXACTLY the same as it did before I deleted it. No change, though. I'm getting intermittent fatal errors on bootup and the thing just isn't working right --

Is there anything that I can do to get rid of these errors? How would I completely clean out that entry from the registry without totally destroying my machine?

The first error that I get is something to the effect of "The entry that was deleted had open data" or something like that --

Or better yet, is there a way that I can restore a some backup of the registry from yesterday to just put everything back like it was?

Thanks for any insight anyone might be able to provide here. I'm losing my mind.

Paul Prewett
penny.gif
penny.gif

A - Start a pure dos session.. press f8 before windows start
B - Type Scanreg /restore
C - Select a registry backup from 2 or 3 days ago
D - Restart PC
E - Done :)

Miguel, you should join Tek-Tips so that I can give you a star for that one.

Thanks a million. :)
penny.gif
penny.gif

Can anyone confirm or deny the notion that if I deleted the other key (from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE) that is the mirror of the one that I deleted from HKEY_LOCAL_USER, would that fix my problem? If I just got rid of everything to do with this software?

Restoring the registry did not seem to fix the problem...

Thanks -
paul
penny.gif
penny.gif

Probably if you got rid of everything relating to the software. Folders too, not just keys.
Since you have no control what the installation did to the registry, you are blind in taking stuff out. So it is possible to totally kill the system.
Make another backup of the registry files and put them where windows can't find them before you start munging the registry. And make sure you have a working EBD because you may need it to restore to the current state. Make sure you have everything you might need to do the file manipulation.
Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Paul,

The registry is made up of two components, keys and values. The keys are basically the "locations" that store the values, which in turn contain the actual data. All values are in one of three different formats, and most can be viewed and changed by the user. The values can be in the form of alphanumeric text, as well as binary data and and DWORD values. As far as the major keys go, there are six of them. There are three root keys and three aliases that point to other parts of the registry. Listed below are these six keys:

This key contains information about file types, extensions, and actions performed on files. It is an alias for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\classes.

This key includes information about the current user, including user display preferences and user customizations. In most cases it is an alias for HKEY_USERS\.Default.

This key is almost the same as HKEY_CURRENT_USER, but contains information about the machine, not the user.

This key, specifically HKEY_USERS\.Default, contains information for the current user. This key also contains data for all users in general.

This key contains information for all currently installed software. In most cases it is an alias for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Config\0001.

This key contains configuration and performance statistics. In this key, unlike the others, you cannot change the values, because they don't really exist. They are created when Windows retrieves the information by accessing a device driver.

That's why I recommend backing up or exporting keys first.

One of my favorite utilities is called Incontrol:
I track all my installs with a program from PC Magazine called InCtrl 3. InCtrl 3 lets you track system changes made by Windows 95/98 and Windows NT/2000 installation programs. It tracks file additions and deletions, changes made to .ini files and changes to the registry.

ftp://zdftp.zdnet.com/pub/private/sWlIB/utilities/file_utilities/pcminctr.zip

ftp://ftp.zdnet.com/pcmag/1996/0701/inctr3.zip

Help on using Inctrl3 is available here:

Version 4 sucks, don't even bother. Version 5 is OK

PC Magazine's InCtrl5 v1.0
InCtrl5 is the fifth incarnation of one of PC Magazine's most popular utilities. By monitoring the changes made to your system when you install new software, it enables you to troubleshoot any unexpected problems that come up. Virtually every modern program uses an install utility that installs or updates files, and also may record data in the registry, and update INI files or other essential text files. A companion uninstall utility should precisely reverse the effects of the install utility. When a newly installed program causes existing applications to fail, or when the supplied uninstall utility can't complete its task, to restore your system you need a record of exactly what the original install utility did. InCtrl5 can provide this record. This new version offers a variety of new features, including an attractive new interface, the ability to track changes to text files such as AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS, HTML reports, and command line switches. It runs under Win95 or higher, or WinNT 4 or higher. Older versions of Windows are supported by previous versions of InCtrl. If you are running Windows NT 4 or Windows 95, you will need Internet Explorer 4 or higher to preview HTML reports within the program. InCtrl5 was written by Neil J. Rubenking, and first appeared in PC Magazine December 5, 2000 (v19n21).

Download link and help on using it is available here:

reghakr

Got it fixed. Long story -- thx for all the input.

:)
Paul Prewett
penny.gif
penny.gif

You guys saved me with this tip!!!!! Many thanks!!!!!!!

GreenArrow

If I can just add, if you re-instate the registry via DOS to a previous day's copy, be sure that conditions are the same now as then, i.e. don't uninstall a prog now then re-instate a reg. backup from yesterday, or install a prog now, then re-instate a reg backup from yesterday..... or big problems may arise. (I know what I mean anyway!) :p My suggestions are what I would try myself. If incorrect, I welcome corrections to my rather limited knowledge. Andy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back