Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Registry permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

martinm

IS-IT--Management
Mar 30, 2001
GB
Hi all - this is the closest forum I could find for this question....

I am about to distribute an app, but am not sure if it will install ok. I write to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, but the user may not have admin rights - are they needed for this, should I use good old fashioned ini files instaed!!

Ta.

In 2K/XP:

1) Most user groups have no rights to write HKLM (they can only read).

2) Most user groups have no rights to write to the "Program Files" folder and subfolders, so your INI approach will fail too. Creating a special folder for your INI is unelegant and you need to set the folder access rights anyway.

3) D&S\AllUsers\ProgramData can be the best place, but "limited" XP home users (aka: lusers :) have no rights to write there neither.

Check MS guidelines to install/write multiuser apps in 2K/XP. You'll be able to figure out the best way for your app, as the MS propossed (and in some way enforced) rules are not flexible enough and can turn to be very cumbersome in some situations.

HTH.
buho (A).

What you could do is have the install shield put in the default registry values you need and if a user decides to change them, store them in current user. I dont know how you implimented your registry code so this may be a lot of work.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back