Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

registry permissions and Norton AV

Status
Not open for further replies.

raygg

Technical User
Jun 14, 2000
US
I just had to put an older dell inspiron 6150 laptop running XP Pro back into daily service while my newer laptop was awaiting a part. The subscription to Norton antivirus on the Dell was expired and I have a current multi-PC license for Webroot spysweeper with av which I chose to install. The dell cpu was very slow and unresponsive and I determined it was Norton av constantly running in the background and eating resources significantly. I tried using the control panel uninstall program approach but the Norton av would not uninstall, partially I think because so many cpu cycles were being occupied by the Norton av software.

I have a lot of experience cleaning the registry as an Oracle DBA, so I started deleting every instance of 'norton' in the registry. I never saw a software product that was so embedded in the registry.

But I encountered many registry entries that refused to be deleted even tho I was using a logon with admin rights. I even tried going to the advanced option and verifying the logon id had admin rights but still those entries in the registry would not budge.

Question: What kind of action do you have to take to delete such registry entries?

I solved the immediate problem when I discovered by websurfing that there is a Norton uninstall tool specific to each Norton product by year and downloadable for free. This worked well and now the Dell is Norton free.

General comment - the dell runs better with the webroot software than the cpu dragging norton av.

Some Registry entries are for want of a better explanation "super protected" and off limits to the normal range of users. Some software like Norton probably have self protection routines built in too I would imagine. Perhaps preventing these programs from running at Startup via the MsConfig tool would help.

You might be able to access those type of Keys by loading a Registry Hive in another system while the current system is not loaded, perhaps with something like BartPE or similar.

Mind you it might be a problem getting the amended system to boot or run afterward as a result of tampering.

As an Administrator highlight one of the two following Keys, it will only be available for these Keys.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
HKEY_USERS

These two articles in the RegEdit Help are a good explanation of the process.

To load a hive into the registry
To unload a hive from the registry

How to edit the registry offline using BartPE boot CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back