Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Registry modification for Outlook97 and Exchange 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekquest

Vendor
Feb 1, 2003
AU
Guys,

I have a small problem regarding the login at startup of a computer to an exchange 5.5 domain.

it will as generally for a username, domain and password, this has to be keyed in each time outlook is closed and opened.

I have looked in the services area of outlook and cannot seem to find anything pertaining to the automation of this, where these text boxes can be pre-filled in.

The problem is, there are two domains between the offices, one is domain1 - the exchange 5.5 server lives here and all users within that site can open and close outlook without the dialogue box appearing.

The second, domain2, the users need to key in the username, domain and password to connect to their exchange mailbox, I have searched through the registry and found the following:

In the HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Exchange > you will see 3 items, they are:

(Default) - with no values set
Logon domain - your domain name
Username - obvious what this is.

Basically, I tried to add a string value with the name of "Password" and the users password, but this did not get me anywhere.

Has anyone had experience in modifying the registry or running a small application that will allow me to automate this login process?

Any info / ideas would be much appreciated,

Thanks for reading,

Luke.

do you have a vpn between the curent system that alows the logon and the one that is asking for a domain name if you dont perhaps that would be the answer and set the values for the roaming profile the same as the static one and once you have logged into the roaming profile you should be able to get the same access
most vpn's will require a username password and domain name to log in and will also require you to log off at end of session and log in as a different user so that your static profile can have its settings nd files updated

OK, there is a VPN, with two domains:

Domain 1: can log onto the exchange server without any problem, no questions cause the exchange server is part of domain1

Domain 2: can log onto the exchange server, but needs to enter username, domain and password for access.. each and every time outlook is opened.

ideas?

Luke

you could try asking your domain manager or works it guys to create a pseudo log in for you on the main domain one which you can use when you are roaming as this would be accessed immediaately and when you were using it you could set the other profile to work along side it as a skin graft so to speak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back