Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Registry Location 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrBlunt

IS-IT--Management
Apr 30, 2001
Howdy All,

Alright, here is the situation. I do independent tech work, and one of my clients is a small parochial school. They recently recieved a load of computers donated by Motorola. They all run Win2k, and have a pretty hefty password for login. The school would rather keep the OS as 2000, rather than using something else. I have one of the hard drives from the Motorola machines in an XP machine now, and I need to access the registry of the old machine to get it's key. Where is the registry located? Is it an independent file, or is it built into something else? Is there an easier way to do this? Any help would be appreciated.

Nate Bellon
Silvery Moon Computer Services

Nate - the magicaljellybean will work - but only if run from within 2k (ie, won't help with drive slaved in XP machine). So, presuming you do know the password, just put drive back in its own machine. If you don't, PAndersen's link will help you out.

PS. 2k's registry is held in a number of system files, known as hives (I'm sure Google will return much info if you're interested). I don't think the 25 character key is held in readable form in the registry.

Thanks for all your answers,
I appreciate the help. Thanks, Techy69, but I already have MagicJelly Bean, and knew it wouldn't work in this situation, and thanks Wolluf for the info on the hives. I forgot all about that, it's been so long since I've had any sort of WinNT/2k/XP training. I'll give some stuff a shot and let you know how it turned out. oh, and thanks PAnderson for the link. It's gravy, except I already know John the Ripper won't work. I might have to use Cain and Abel.<br>
Thanks All<br>
Nate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back