Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Registry location for Cameras and Portable Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisRChamberlain

Programmer
Mar 23, 2000
GB
Hi all

Would appreciate it if someone could indicate whereabouts in the registry the settings for Cameras and Portable Devices may be found?

TIA

FAQ184-2483​
Chris [pc2]
PDFcommander.com
motrac.co.uk

There probably isn't a single location or area. try seaching the registry for a particular manufacturer and/or model of device.

The location is :-

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Photo Acquisition

If, like me, you have set up Import Settings for Cameras and Portable Devices to run automatically without prompting, when you come to modify the settings, you will see you have a problem.

Unless you are exceptionally quick, you will not be able to access the settings.

So, a sledgehammer solution is to navigate to the location above, right click on Photo Acquisition and delete.

Next time, the default dialog will appear and you can reset the settings.

FAQ184-2483​
Chris [pc2]
PDFcommander.com
motrac.co.uk

Chris.... Looking at the time stamp, I beat you by about a second ...lol.. BTWS, not every device is listed where you say it's at. I have a digital camera and a MFD, with scanner. The location doesn't even exist on my pc. And there are registry entries all over the place. Same with my MFD.

Could you not plug the device in, right-click it once it appears in 'My Computer' - select properties and then change the action in the auto-play tab to 'prompt every time'...or am I missing the actual point of the question...it has been known [censored]

I used to have a handle on life... but it broke. Cpt. Red Bull

aich69

Thanks for your reply.

Not checked, but you may have an alternative option.

The reason for needing to know the registry location is that I have an app under development which utilises product photos taken by the user.

The photos are downloaded to a specific folder on the pc and then deleted from the camera.

The app will correct any registry entries are wrong or non-existent before running the application.

As an option, the application can therefore also 'clear' the entries as described previously, should they wish change the dialog behaviour.

FAQ184-2483​
Chris [pc2]
PDFcommander.com
motrac.co.uk

Ah I see...in that case my reply was somewhat shallow on first glance but may well give you something to consider writing in to your code. [smile]

I used to have a handle on life... but it broke. Cpt. Red Bull

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back