Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

registry key to restrict and allow system restore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ray2nite

Technical User
Jun 10, 2002
US
What is the registry key to restrict & allow system restore?

I have a xp home edition dell which had a virus "ms protection" Trojan. I manually removed the virus, but all the permissions were gone.

I found the registry keys to restore folder options and reg-edit, but there's very little else there.
When I try to run system restore under any user, it says it is restricted, contact your domain administrator.
Again, this is "XP HOME" edition -- no network. There's no gpedit.msc in home edition. I assume there's a reg key somewhere to re-enable system restore.

Also, is there a third party gpedit program that will work in XP home?

How do I restore security settings to the default settings?

If you have a NTFS partition try these links to beef up Home to something more configurable that you may be able to use.

Safe Mode in XP Home will allow access to the Security Tab too.

Disable/Enable Registry Editing tools in Windows

For System Restore to work the relevant Service and any Dependencies must be running. Administrators and the System user must also be able to access this location.

How to gain access to the System Volume Information folder

Thanks for the help, New, linney. I have just about got things back to normal.

Thanks. I tried everything. Nothing worked. When I try to run system restore it says

"System Restore has been turned off by group policy. To turn on System Restore, contact your domain Administrator."

This is XP Home edition, there is no domain. But there must be a way to fix this.

I ran the microsoft fix you recommended, no effect. I ran Doug's xp home policy editor, I see no option for
system restore. Is there a specific registry key I can go to?

Try this location.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ SystemRestore

Delete the value DisableConfig and the value DisableSR.

Does System Restore work from Safe Mode?

What security software are you running? Have you tried temporarily disabling such software to see if that gets System Restore running?

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back