Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Registry Folder Permissions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mijjoiji

IS-IT--Management
May 15, 2001
SE
Hi!
I´ve got a few problems,

1. I´ve created a MST file to execute the existing MSI package of MS Visio2002. (To do some uniqe changes for our corporation). Everything worked out fine, except that if a restricted user runs the installation, witch is advertised some values is not written to the registry. HK Current Config. If I do the install with admin rights there is no problem even if a restricted user logs on the machine and runs the program. Is there a way to let the installation itself to write to current config?

2. Is there a way to set permissions to folders in the registry, like you can do with program folders.

Best Regards

/Jim

Use a proprietary regacl program such as bc2 in the resource kit...

You can use the resource kit utility regini.exe to apply rights to the various registry keys. Regini.exe relies on some simple to figure out ini file format to set permissions on registry keys.

Andy
mcseforsale.

Can you create a wise installation system 9 script to share a folder? I have the script source to set perminssions on a folder but I really need to automate the folder sharing process during my install. Thanks!

regini.exe is usefull for scripting the permissions on the kernel reg hives, but is unable to either:

1) Modify HK_Classes_Root
2) Set heirarchial (sp?) permissions on an existing entire tree

As I've found that serveral applications require user write permissions to extension entries in HKCR, has anyone found a better way to do this than the current crappy way that Wise handles it? i.e. what other script tools/applications can modify entire reg key trees (such as xcacls does for ntfs folders)

Many thanks

Found the answer!

To set the correct permissions on any key or hive (and have the hierarchy filled down for all sub keys:

create a blank key at the top of your key or hive within the msi, then set your required permissions.

When the msi installs, it will copy the permissions down the tree and Robert's your fathers brother!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back