Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Registry File Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

goreyhill

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2002
IE
Hi all, I have a Dell Dim 4400 and whenever I start the pc up a blue screen appears with this message ( STOP C0000218 registry file failure)(system/root/system32/config/software now dumping physical memory) Then it just hangs I can't even get an a prompt. Help me before I go grey.

Are you able to boot it to the command prompt and type

scanreg /restore

and restore a previous version of the registry, start with the oldest version.

Regards. It not what you say but how you say it that counts...apparently.

No, it just takes me to the blue screen again.

Can you not start the machine with a boot disk,
either a floopy boot disk or the Operating system CD-ROM? It not what you say but how you say it that counts...apparently.

Will a 98 boot disk work with XP ?

What operating system are you using?

Any idea what prompted the problem (eg, what's changed since it was last working?)

Im using XP Home, I've no idea how this came about.

I think your problem falls under this KB article You will need access to another computer to be able to download and create the XP boot disk set (6 disks) at The first article gives you step by step instructions on how to use the Recovery Console and the procedure DOES work (maybe not 100% in all cases, but, it's better than starting from scratch)

Druid69 - why do you need the floppy boot disks for recovery console when you can just boot the CD?

I've had this error messgage a couple of times on XP machines and to be fair it was in fact never the registry. The first time it was Graphic Drivers and the second it a failed hard drive (I guess a registry is bad if you cant read it ;). Repair install has worked once so god luck matey :)

Well, Wolluf, not everyone has the CD set as the first boot device and, seeing as it is trying to boot from the HD, it would never get to the CD boot, but, most systems I have worked on DO have the floppy set as the boot device before the HD.
If you don't know how to get into the BIOS and change you boot sequence, having the floppy set around is VERY handy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back