Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Registry edit forces dial up networking connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

prha

Technical User
May 24, 2002
GB
I have 2 pc's that are connected to a network via VPN. One of the PC's connot dial in. When you go through the log in screen and select the number to dial the pc does not connect, It says it is dialling then comes up with error message saying no answer.
The other PC is fine. both are plugged directly into the back of the ADSL box. My main problem is that the registry has been edited to force the user to log in via dial up networking. (HKLM\software\MS\WinnNT\CurrentVersion|winlogon\Rasforce=1)
Due to this I cannot log on locally to the machine to check configuration. Does anyone know how I can bypass this to log on to the PC. booting to VGA does not help, nor does selecting thelocal domain, and there is no option to boot to DOS. I am well and truly stuck!!
If you have any ideas please let me know or I am forced to remove the hard drive (user saved locally not to network)
Thanks

Hi

If you have the server on an NTFS partition then you could try

this will allow you to boot up and read NTFS drives...

or if you have nough disk space you could

1) use PQmagic (or other) boot disks
2) Shrink you exsisting partition and hide it
3) creat new NT/Win2K drive and set active
4) un hide old "c" and remove active status and give new drive letter
5) boot to new drive
6) you will how have full access to both drives
7) use reget to change registry on old c
8) do steps 5 > 1 in reverse.
or
just use the new drive once you have recovered all the data from the old one

H[thumbsup2]