Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

registry compares 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

terry712

Technical User
Oct 1, 2002
GB
not really a citrix question but it's one of those type of questions that doesnt fit anywhere and basically i want recommendations rather than sales patter and promises

i need to troubleshoot a crappy app and i can only think best way to do it is - on a clean ps4 box is take a snapshot of registry - login as user and push the problem button - then resanp the registry and compare the differences. possibly need to do files as well

what are the best options for this - free or purchase - not bothered which

i dont want it for imaging etc - just purely for ease of noticing changes etc

or something that just runs and logs the changes so i can see at each point would be good

i know i can get multiple options via a google search but i would end up with 3 or 4 plums before i get something workeable where as here i may get the best program via a recommendation first time
thanks

terry712,
I would highly recommend "Regshot".

Take a picture before change and after change. Then hit compare and it will display the registry values that have been modified.

I use it a lot in trying to resolve issues or trying to automate builds with all my of "tweaks".

Hope that helps.

Ooh a new toy, thanks enigma99, another alternative is regmon and filemon. I have used them for erm more years than I care to remember.

If I like new toy you get a star enigma99.

[blue] A perspective from the other side!![/blue]

Cheers
Scott

ascotta,
I hope you like it....
I've used it to automate server builds and to see what changes have been made after an install.

I was thinking more along the lines of before a user touches it and then again after they have done something they have no memory of doing.

[blue] A perspective from the other side!![/blue]

Cheers
Scott

What about WinDiff I often use this to compare reg files. Think its on the server disk in support tools

.\SUPPORT\TOOLS\SUPPORT.CAB

REgards ACO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back