Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Registry access for users 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSMJ

MIS
Nov 27, 2002
Hi
Is there a way of allowing programs on win2k pro clients to run either as administrator or be granted access to the registry? Some programs (mainly games) cannot run because of not enough access to the registry. I don't want to give all users the administrator password so they can "run as..." but there must be a way of allowing such programs to function properly even in the roaming profile type win2k DC environment that we have.

All ideas appreciated

Thanks a lot

Hi,
Sorry, I'm not really writing to give you an answer but I have the same problem on my network with some applications requiring registry access to function properly. My network administrator's solution was to make everybody local administrator, which I absolutely hate and I can't wait to have it changed. It's my point of debate for more than 6 months now.
I don't have time right now to look for and test an alternative but I kind of know what can be done. I THINK you can run that application (game in your case?) as a service and configure that service in "Services" to run with admin privileges (account).
I welcome any comments about this idea or any solution anybody may have tested successfully.
Thanks.

Hi,

Here's how I got around running applications that needed admin rights without giving the user local admin rights or the admin password. It's a small VBscript,
If anyone has come up with a better way please let me know.

Open Notepad or any editor and type the following into it and then save it with a .vbs extension.

set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
compname= Wshshell.ExpandEnviromentStrings("%COMPUTERNAME%")
WscShell.Run "runas /user:"&compname&"\adminuser APP.EXE"
Wscript.Sleep 100
Wshell.Sendkeys "PASSWORD~"

You will need to change a few things to match your needs:
adminuser will need to be the local administrator username.
APP.EXE the application you want to run with admin rights
PASSWORD~ The administrator account password. You must keep the ~ at the end as this is carriage return.

Once you have the script running you can use the MS Script encoder tool to stop the script being read or changed.

Regards,
Mark

Or whatever program you are wanting to run at the time you can hold down your right shift and right click the program or shortcut and select "Run As"

...or you can open regedt32

with this regeditor you can set permissions on registry objects

MVH Nicolai

For every machine?

Thanks for the replies everyone

My question for Chris77504 is: once you enter the admin account and password in the Run As screen, would it stay there permanently or you need to enter it every time you open/run that application? I think it's kind of the same as what I suggested...

Niksen's solution sounds interesting also. I'll try that too.

Thanks for your input.

Hi ,

When you install a application or a game after that it wants to write data in the sytem directory or write in the registry etc , I use a program called regmon en filemon from it is free.

You start this program run as admin then it writes file to the system .
Start regmon or filemon. or both . Start the app or game that doesn't work . And check the program logs of filemon or regmon for access denied logs.
You can give the user access to a certain registry object or file or directory and your game or app will certainly work.
To do this from a central place you have to use a distribution tool or a script. I also Like the vbscipt from
Mark

other question :

When you run as and you close the program you have to use run as the admin again or it will run as the user. it doesn't stay there permently.

Greetz nootgevallen

Thanks! Ill give that a try. I appreciate all the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back