Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Registration Error on Target PC: MSADO26.TLB 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

koala15

Programmer
May 9, 2001
AU
Hi All,

My app runs fine in the IDE VB6 (Enterprise) on W2K.

Created a PDW setup. Took it to a W98SE system.

During the installion the error given was "Error occurred registering MSADO26.TLB"

I pressed the "Retry" button: message repeated.

Pressed "Ignore".

Started App: then got Error "5", invalid procedure call or argument.

As I said it runs fine on the development machine both in IDE and from the EXE, but the ADO part and its reports have neither been executed nor tested.

Please note: I am using DAO for the database, the only reason I am using ADO is to generate reports.

Please do not ask me to switch my DAO code to ADO as this app is huge. There must be over 400 lines of (just) DAO code, ignoring the code that supports it, the total app has about 21,000 line of VB code.

I last generated a PDW (a few weeks ago), it installed and ran OK on W98SE, but it did not have the ADO and "Data Report Designer 6.0")

Is my ADO reference incorrect? Something else?

Comments very much appreciated.

Thanks ... Greg

"Life is full of learning, and then there is wisdom"

Sounds like you dont have the correct version of MDAC installed on the client machine. Thus it cant find the library for ADO version 2.6
Try installing a later version of MDAC, or ensure you Package includes the latest version.

"Own only what you can carry with you; know language, know countries, know people. Let your memory be your travel bag.

I stand before you all a humble VB programmer trapped by the sin of "assume" (makes an ass out of you and me!)

Because I received an error on installation that the MSADO260.tbl could not be registered, I therefore ASSUMED that that was the problem. WRONG. The problem was that I had a "GetUserName" API call (early in the execution stream) that on W2K was resolved OK, but W98 it errored.

Guess what I did not check .... the return code!!

Now all corrected and working.

Thanks hmckillop (and a Star) for taking the trouble to assist. Much appeciated.

Peace to all.

BTW: Does anyone know what a *.tlb (type library) actually does compared to say a *.dll? Yes, I know what a *.dll does, it is the comparision between the two that is of interest.

Also what does a *.tlb library contribute when it comes to the executable on the target machine.

Thanks

"Life is full of learning, and then there is wisdom"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back