Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Registering Host Headers with DNS or WINS....HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Showtime99

Programmer
Sep 24, 2004
US
Hello,

I'm trying to host multiple sites by using host headers with IIS. I just want my home network to be able to access the sites and my problem is registering the host header with either DNS or WINS, not sure which to use......I'm sort of new to this and I'm totally lost....also....once i have the host headers registered, what do i have to do to get the other computers in the network to be able to view the sites

thanks in advance

ShowTime

Register the host header name in DNS, then point your clients to that DNS server and when you enter that name in the web browser, your DNS server will resolve the name to the configured IP.

So for example, you register the following in DNS:

site1 192.168.1.1
site2 192.168.1.1
site3 192.168.1.1

Then, when the client tries to resolve any of the sites, they get the same IP returned.

Don't forget to add the host-header entries in your website... (right-click on website and under properties>advanced...i think that's it as i don't have iis in front of me hehe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back