Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Registering a PHP Script for Search Engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSandman666

Programmer
Feb 5, 2001
DE
Hello everybody. I got a HUGE Problem!.
I work for a company who designs and hosts websites. We designed our own Content Management System and we built a site using that system. The problem is: The client want's us to register his site at search Engines. Now, all the index.php script is, is a number of includes.
It looks kinda like this:

<?php
include(&quot;includefile1.inc&quot;);
include(&quot;includefile2.inc&quot;);
include(&quot;includefile3.inc&quot;);

include(&quot;header.inc&quot;);
include(&quot;main.inc&quot;);
include(&quot;footer.inc&quot;);
?>

Do you have any idea what we could do to make this website findable in a search engine? The HTML part opens in header.inc, so metas aren't really an option. Of course I could put a dummy page with metas and a redirection to the index.php in there, but Search Engines don't really give a darn for search metas. They ususally go for how often those keywords turn up in the text and whether they are stressed in any way and so on.

Any idea? This one's really, really complicated, so think hard.

It's not that complicated. The fact that you are using that many includes is completely transparent to the search engines, because they index your site using exactly the same protocol as a web browser, thus receiving post-parsed pages.

> The HTML part opens in header.inc, so metas aren't really an option

I don't know what you mean here. All you have to do is put Meta tags in whichever of the files contains the <html><head> content. Try it, and then do a &quot;view source&quot; in the browser for that page, to make sure your tags are in the right place.

The only problem I can see is if you have it set up so *every* website refers to the same &quot;header.inc&quot; file. But that's still no problem, because obviously in that situation you still have user-specific data being output, so just add meta tags in the correct place, being output from wherever you have all your other dynamic data for each website.

Or am I missing something here? I can't think of any dynamic website situation where meta tags would really be a problem. There are considerations, though about search engines indexing pages with complicated query strings, such as &quot;page.php?id=1234123412343IEFJKPO&session=23423452352&quot;, etc... This is because often the search engines automatically are set to not index highly dynamic pages like this. There are ways to deal with this, if that becomes a problem, by using mod_rewrite, or by using a &quot;path info&quot; query string, such as &quot;page.php/value_here/value2_here/etc/&quot;.

Oh, Ok, I didn't know that search engines actually recieve the already processed pages. Then it really shouldn't be a problem. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back