Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

regional settings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have US/Canada Quark 5. When I tried to load it here I got a message that it would not work unless the computer settings were in US. Even changing the settings to US did not help. Is there anyway I can get the settings to use UK configurations? I cannot find any patch that will correct this.

From what I can see, it's your keyboard layout not your location that QuarkXPress cares about. Have you tried swapping to a U.S. keyboard layout (or input locale as Windows 2000 calls it)? Unfortunately, you'll have problems with quotes and '@' signs and so on, unless you actually ahve a U.S. keyboard, but you should be able to start the application.

I have tried changing the keyboard to U.S but it still will not load the program. It keeps saying that it is the wrong regional setting. I am using Windows 98se. Could that be the problem?
Doesn't Quark have some download that will allow U.S Quark to be run in this country or do they expect people to buy different versions for ever county?
I'm only a beginner but it looks to me as though I shall have to get another version for this country.
If you have any other ideas I can try, I would be grateful.
Thanks

I had the same problem on XP - The Answer was to change the default input language to English (United States). Simply changing the installed services from the taskbar wont work

Question? Are these versions of Quark (Passport) or regular straight versions of Quark? Let freedom ring!

yea im using Quark 5.0 on win Me system and got the regonal error an juss had to change the keyboard setting in control pannel 2 US :)

just check that in the keyboard settings when u select the "English ( United English)" ; you definetly click the "Set as Default" button.

Doing this would change the default language to - English ( United English).

Hope it solves your problem.

EL235 [pipe]
TechSupport

For me running Windows 2000 Server, it worked like a charm.
Thank you very much for that.

Cheers

Pascal Brenner
Sydney - Australia

You can switch the settings back once Quark is up and running. This avoids having mixed up symbols on your keyboard.
Quark only seems to check the locale when starting up.

Dear Quark User,

There are two workarounds for your problems.

If you are working in Windows environment please change your regional settings to us english.

Moreover change your Keyboards settings too.

Remind you once again that these language settings must be supportive to the language supported by your QuarkXPress application.

Move It: Looks like you have managed to find a pirate copy of Quark 5 (like many other users who have peer-to-peer filesharing!). Your workaround for this is to go to your control panel and select Regional Options. Select the Input Locales tab and (if it is there) select US English as your keyboard. If it is not there, click Add and load it from your original Windows98 installer CD (IF you have that as well!). Good luck ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back