Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Regional Settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cLFlaVA

Programmer
Jun 14, 2004
US
hi people...

I am using ASP to generate a tabular report displayed in the browser. users could then potentially copy/paste the report into excel.

i am having problems with our german users - after copying/pasting, some dates get all messed up.

US date format is MM/DD/YYYY, while Germany's is usually DD.MM.YYYY. we run into problems especially with dates that can be construed either way. for example, if a record has a creation date of May 4 2007 and a last-update-date of May 20 2007, excel will generally understand the creation date as April 5, 2007, while the last-update-date remains "5/20/2007" (in US format).

this is a mess. has anybody had this experience? if so, anyone know a way of resolving it?

thanks

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
[tt]"quote goes here"[/tt]
[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.coryarthus.com/[/url]

If I understand the scenario, you cannot simply change to the German format because there are also some US users?

Perhaps each user has a separate UserID ... and you could have some "user preferences" associated with the account... and then conditionally format the date according to the individual user preferences?

Sorry, I thought I had posted again... I guess it didn't go through.

The problem was with my testing, not with ASP. After switching to the use of [tt]DateValue( date_string_here )[/tt], I thought I had changed my regional settings.

It turned out I also had to check the box labeled "Apply all settings to the current user account and to the default user profile" in the Regional Settings window. After I did this, and restarted my computer (ASP runs as its own user, not as the currently logged-in user), everything worked fine.

Sorry again, I thought I had posted this.

- Cory

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
[tt]"quote goes here"[/tt]
[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.coryarthus.com/[/url]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back