Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Regedit "Permissions" greyed out? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

erniehogan

Technical User
Jan 15, 2004
US
In the registry editor of Windows XP Pro, SP1, the "Permissions" option is greyed out. I have used it in the past and don't know why it is not accessible now. I am the only listed user and the administrator. Can anyone tell me how to make it available for use?

All keys, or only some keys?
There are protected keys whose permissions are not editable by anyone.

I don't think I made myself clear Bill. In the drop down window under "Edit", the "Permissiobs" option is greyed out and thus unavailable. That's as far as I can go. You help is appreciated.

Sounds to me like a policy may be in effect disabling the ability to change permissions.
Use the Resultant Set of Policies MMC Snap-in to check it.

Start -> Run -> MMC
Add Snap-in
Choose RSoP

You could choose the Security Templates snap-in at the same time just to go through it.

The only other time I've seen this behaviour is on folder objects where the object has been set to Inherit permissions. (But you can still at least view)

If all you have highlighted in the Registry Key list is "My Computer" or nothing at all is highlighted, then by design the Permissions under Edit are dimmed.

Make sure you are selecting an actual key and then see if the Permissions under Edit are available, or just right-click the key you want to change and access Permissions via that.

Thank you Linney, You hit the nail on the head. The needle in the haystack turned out to be a flagpole that I couldn't see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back