Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

regedit disabled by administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfoNow

IS-IT--Management
Apr 20, 2001
US
Help...I am logged in as Administrator, but I can not run regedit. I kept getting this message: "Registry editing has been disabled by your administrator." Any idea why this is happening?

TIA
InfoNow

Probably because some system policys have been applied from the main server, therefore even logging on as administrator might not allow this.
To fix this problem you will have to pull a new policy down from the server, re-enabling registry editing.
Hope this works.

Carbonman,
Thank you for replying. I final got it fix by apply a registry fix called unlock.reg I downloaded from the web. That works great. Now I can get in to the registry fine.

Thanks,
InfoNow

Hi, I get the same problem on my XP laptop but my network server is only a router so has no control over my system.

Where did you download unlock.reg from?

yea I tried it using THE adminastrator and it still says the same message, i think their is a pug in some where that allows u to enable/dissable regediting

Hi all
Type "gpedit.msc" in Run box, >>UserConfig >>System, and make sure that "Disable tools for editing the registry" isn't active.

Strator

Thanks i created a new user and that solved m problem but all the other users still dont have access and this is the system well all hammer the crap out of and test our network security with.

I used Group Policy editor and I found the problem.

THANKS! Other wise I would have to format my HDD again!

hey guys, just wanted to you all to know that, after hours (literally HOURS) of desperate help-finding and i-don't-know-what-i'm-doing, i finally found this place where i got the unlock.reg from InfoNow, enabled my registry, deleted the much sought after *HOMEPAGE* under IE, and freed my computer from homepaging on inappropriate sites that my brother "accidentally" clicked into, all before our parents came home...thanks to god, and of course you guys!

thank you thank you thank you, you guys are the best!

hugh tudor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back