Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Regardless, Anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dimandja

Programmer
Apr 29, 2002
US
Are regardless and anyway interchangeable?

I can deal with: "He'll do it anyway".

But, "He'll do it regardless" sounds as if it begs the question "regardless of what?".

Both words do share a common defintion, but both words also have definitions unrelated to each other.

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Either sentence would need to be preceded by description of some obstacle to whatever it is that's to be done, so it would be regardless of that obstacle.

The more grammatically informed may have to enlighten me, but it seems like either of your examples is on shaky ground as a stand alone sentence.

It's not Henry's job to clip my toenails. He'll do it anyway.

It's not Henry's job to clip my toenails. He'll do it regardless.

Those seem broken to me, or at least much clumsier than the following.

It's not Henry's job to clip my toenails, but he'll do it anyway.

Henry will clip my toenails, regardless of it not being his job.

Despite my better judgement, I entered this discussion with regardless abandon. Nevertheless, I did, and now I need to get out anyway I can.

I think you'll find that 'regardless' cannot be replaced with 'anyway', and that 'anyway' cannot be replaced with 'regardless'. On the other hand, 'nevertheless', can be replaced with either one.

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Despite my better judgement, I entered this discussion with regardless abandon. Nevertheless, I did, and now I need to get out anyway I can.
The definition of "anyway" here is all possible ways and interchangable with "any way," I believe. According to Dictionary.com, the definition meaning "any way" and that meaning "regardless" are separate.

--Chessbot

"See the TURTLE of enormous girth!"
-- Stephen King, The Dark Tower series

Given that this is the Making an Impression forum, I guess it isn't unreasonable to flag the misuse of 'begs the question' in the first post...

It is not only absolutely reasonable strongm, but correct as well.

Good Luck
--------------

Wow! 6 answers already, and very little information. [smile]

Let's see if we can resuscitate this thread.

>Both words do share a common defintion, but both words also have definitions unrelated to each other.

Any examples?

>It's not Henry's job to clip my toenails. He'll do it anyway.
It's not Henry's job to clip my toenails. He'll do it regardless.

Are you saying, in this context, the two words are correctly interchangeable? And "regardless" is not left dangling here?

Correction: "But, "He'll do it regardless" sounds as if it raises the question "regardless of what?".

Dimandja,

Even though the two words are not always interchangeable, in the examples with Henry you can say they are. If there is a bit of a stretch here, it's just a tiny little bit. :) The key here is to think of the words that are omitted, or rather transferred to the sentence immediately preceding the one in question; they will answer your question "regardless of what?".

>It's not Henry's job to clip my toenails. He'll do it anyway.
>It's not Henry's job to clip my toenails. He'll do it regardless [of the fact that it's not his job].

Or rather, the complete phrase would be

>It's not Henry's job to clip my toenails. He'll do it anyway, regardless of the fact that it's not his job.

But it's not what you would normally say, right?

Dimandja - In my second post, you'll find an example where both words are used and not interchangable. In that same example, you find a place where either word could be used, interchangable with the word 'nevertheless'.

Good Luck
--------------

Dimandja,

My first two examples were meant to show the awkwardness of the OP's examples in context. So, yes, regardless if left dangling.

The second pair were my attempt at correct usage.

RodKnowlton,

Your examples are what I feel to be correct:
It's not Henry's job to clip my toenails, but he'll do it anyway.
Henry will clip my toenails, regardless of it not being his job.

CajunCenturion,

I looked at your second post, and I have several issues with it.

"regardless abandon" should not be a coherent phrase; I believe "reckless abandon" is what's implied here?

"get out anyway I can" should not be grammatically correct; I believe that should read/spell "get out any way I can". The phrase "any way" is not the same as the word "anyway".

"nevertheless", surely, cannot be replaced with "anyway" here? I can't very well picture anyone 'correctly' saying: "Anyway, I did, and now I need to get out anyway I can". Or even: "Regardless, I did, and now I need to get out anyway I can".

All I can say is that 'regardless abandon' is a choherent phrase, even though you don't hear it very often.

Anyway is a valid word, and the phrase is grammatically correct.

As far as either word replacing 'nevertheless', I'm not sure what the issue here is.

A couple of references may help clear it up.
American Heritage - Anyway
American Heritage - Regardless

Good Luck
--------------

CajunCenturion,

Anyway is a valid word, and the phrase is grammatically correct.

Anyway is a valid word, and so is maybe, but in no way substitutes for phrases any way and may be. Their meaning and usage is not identical, and even the parts of speech are not the same any more, so grammatically they are not interchangeable. I remember this from an English textbook, but will look for a reference when I have time.

>"Anyway, I did, and now I need to get out anyway I can".

You mean" ""Anyway, I did, and now I need to get out any way I can". Right?

regardless abandon" does not return any hits at all from Google.

What does it mean?

Merriam-Webster and American Heritage are both on CajunCenturion's side.

Merriam-Webster perhaps makes it clearest. There is an "anywise" meaning and an "anyhow" meaning.

anywise = in any way whatever
anyhow = in any case

No I meant exactly what I posted.

Stella740pl - The American Heritage dictionary link that I posted could be used as one reference and contains a similar example.

You may also find this example -- Regardless -- helpful.

Of course, regardless of those links, you can choose to believe what you wish. Anyway, I have nothing more to contribute here.

Good Luck
--------------

>No I meant exactly what I posted.

You mean "anyway" and "any way" are one and the same?
You mean "regardless abandon" makes sense?

>Merriam-Webster perhaps makes it clearest. There is an "anywise" meaning and an "anyhow" meaning.

I don't see how that elucidates this discussion.

No, I did not say that 'anyway' and 'any way' are one and the same.

What I did say was that 'anyway' is a valid word, and that the sentence 'Nevertheless, I did, and now I need to get out anyway I can.' is grammatically correct and uses the word 'anyway' properly.

And yes, 'regardless abandon' does make sense and is a proper use of 'regardless' as an adjective.

Good Luck
--------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back