Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Regarding Salary Increase 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

DataHugger

Programmer
May 26, 2004
US
I joined this company in May and my boss said he would evaluate me in 60 days for a salary increase.

Now I am not complaining and I think I am being paid a decent amount for being hired right out of college. However, I have some hesitation about asking for the evaluation.

There are two reason I am hesitant to ask him about my evaulation. I took sick shortly after I was hired and need a week off to recover from the surgery. I have also made mistakes only an inexperinced person could make. On the positive side though, I have taken on more responsibilities then I thought that I would orginally receive. I was hired as a database programmer. However, I have become kinda the generalist at the company.

So what do I do ask him about my future at this company or wait for him to bring it up?

-DaTaHuGGeR

I would politely remind him about it. You are basically saying you are considering getting no positive evaluation because you fear you may get a negative evaluation. Well, wouldn't you want to know where you stand? I'm sure your boss already knows roughly where you stand...and its not really going to help you if you are in the dark about it. The worst he or she can say is no, you don't get the raise, which is where you will be if you never get the evaluation anyways.

Do I just walk up him and say oh by the way I was wondering about my evaluation?

Something like that, but maybe not as casual. Maybe something like "[Boss Name], I was wondering if sometime in the near future would be a good time for my evaluation?

I agree with RiverGuy

also, if the evaluation meeting is anything like those where I work, you will be coached on how your boss would like to see you improve, and will review expectations on what is to be accomplished and how, by the next evaluation. I suggest asking asap, as it will probably benefit you in the long run.

Gary

He loves using email to keep records. Should I ask him through email so there is a record of it or should I ask him in person?

-DaTaHuGGeR

Ask him in email. It's much easier to 'forget' to do it if someone just casually asks you.

Incidentally, a 60 eval will usually not result in a large increase, but it may prevent you from getting a bad annual increase if they are unhappy with your performance thus far. Many people don't find out management is unhappy with their performance until the annual review when they get no raise - surprise! You will have time to correct anything before the annual review which is all to the good.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

Heh, me, I haveto be differant. I got a big [planned] increase on my 60, then almost nothing for my annual reviews where they were oh so hapy at the amount and quality ofthe work I had done...hmm...maybe there is a lesson in there somewhere (doubt it).

barcode_1.gif

Hi DataHugger,

If your boss "loves using email to keep records" then send him an email (and make sure you get a "read recipt" for that email!) When he reads it, print the mail with the receipt.

As to your concern that "I have also made mistakes only an inexperinced person could make." - that is nothing to worry about unless you made the same mistakes twice or more. Your boss knows you are inexperienced! Remember, "if you never make a mistake you'll never make anything!"

And people get sick from time to time, there's not much you can do about it.

You were promised a 60 day evaluation, make sure you get it! Maybe you could offer to wait 70 days to take into account your sick time, but don't let it go too long.

Good Luck,
John

Hey Datahugger,

I started a new job with a medium size company and was on a 60 day temp-to-hirer basis. What worked for me was some advice a friend gave me, who has a lot of expierence in the corporate world. He suggested that I keep a list of all the accomplishments, responsibilites, tasks,(BASICLLY EVERYTHING I HAD DONE). Then make a spreadsheet with everything that I had done, areas that I performed well and areas that I feel I could use improvement. Then I made and appointment with my supervisor to "talk abount some things." I presented the spreadsheet to him and he was very impressed with my "pro-active" approach.

Anyways, it worked for me.

Best of Luck
-Nate

Personally, I like to know how my superiors think I'm doing. I'd e-mail your boss and say something like "I understand I should be getting a review after 60 days of employment. I'd like to go ahead and schedule that with you because I'd like to know how I'm doing and in what areas I can improve." I wouldn't worry about or even expect a raise after 60 days. Just get that review and make sure you're meeting your boss's expectations.

You might want to email him a document detailing your accomplishments and what you've learned so far at their company, kind of a self-evaluation.

Tell him where you think you can improve and set some goals and new challenges you would like for yourself, and invite him to do the same for you.

Then ask him to schedule a meeting so you can discuss the document and anything else he wants to add to your evaluation.

Thanks!
Barb E.

Thanks everybody for your advice.

I figured for whoever is interested. I had my evaluation.

I kinda took the cowards way out because my co-worker who started working at the same time as me asked before I could get the chance. So the boss gave both of us our reviews and my was pretty positive. I got my raise, but I didn't really get any specific advice on what to do except work harder and take on more responsibilites.

DaTaHuGGeR

Glad to hear things went well. If you really want to do well at work, ask the boss to sit down and help set specific goals.
If your goals are,
work harder and take on more responsibilites
how can you validate that you were successful? Having goals and working toward them will help you focus your energies. It also keeps you out of the trap where a manager says, "You're not ready for that promotion yet, you haven't taken on more responsibility.".

I am what I am based on the decisions I have made.

DoubleD [bigcheeks]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back