Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.reg file?? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hassified

Technical User
Jun 25, 2002
US
Can anyone tell me, if i know a good regedit tip, do i have to go through regedit to do it every time i want to put on another computer or can i make an .reg file that will do it automatic?????? Thanks all. Life Is Good.
HASSIFIED

Hi,
Put down the wine, sober up and repost your question, ;-)

Regards.

You can definitely create a reg file.

Input your "tip" into your registry, click on the value folder in the left pane (make sure the folder hilights blue), click the registry drop down menu, click export registry file, and give it a name.

This creates a .reg file. bring it to another computer and double click on it. It will ask if you want to import.
Check the key to verify.

Good luck... ~ The day I think I know it all, i'm changing careers ~

Adding to what karmic said............

After you export the .regfile, right-click on it and open with Notepad.exe.

UNDER the hive and tree info are the Names & Data..........

ex. regfile:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoHelpMenu"=dword:00000001
"NoHelpItemTipOfTheDay"=dword:00000001
"NoHelpItemTutorial"=dword:00000001
"NoHelpItemSendFeedback"=dword:00000001
"NoHelpItemNetscapeHelp"=dword:00000001
"NoToolbarCustomize"=dword:00000001
"NoSaveSettings"=dword:00000001

You will want to delete any of the lines that you would not want to change on the other machines you want to use it on.
Say you only wanted to stop Toolbar Customization (see 2nd to last "NoToolbarCustomize"=dword:00000001

You delete all unwanted lines so your .regfile appears like:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoToolbarCustomize"=dword:00000001

Hope I was clear.

Regards

Thanks wheedoggy, good catch. I'm only into my first cup of coffee yet :O) ~ The day I think I know it all, i'm changing careers ~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back