Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Refrigerator Safe for External Hard Drive Storage? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsquared18

Technical User
Jun 10, 2001
US
Hi,

I use a four-TB external hard drive to save backup images of four Windows computers. Because the files are huge, backing them up to a cloud is impractical. I have One TB of cloud storage, but that's not large enough, and besides the uploading process takes an extremely long time.

So, I was thinking of options for on-site storage that would be safer than simply having the external hard drive sit next to my computer.

My thought was this: I've read that as far as fire is concerned, a basement is safer than upstairs because fire travels upward. Refrigerators have been mentioned as a possible substitute for a safe. We have a second, small refrigerator in our basement. So, I was thinking about placing the hard drive in a ziplock bag from which the air has been removed and placing that in the frig. The temperature never gets below freezing.

Of course, before using the hard drive, I'd bring it to room temperature. My backup images are intended only to eliminate the need to reinstall all the programs if a computer's hard drive fails, so updating the images is done rarely. Frequent updating of the document files is done separately.

I might set up a protocol to take the unit out of the frig on a regular basis and run it, just to make sure it works and to limber it up.

Any problems with this plan? Comments would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Bill

Why not just get a firesafe?

Some fires have originated from fridges.

Agreed a media rated fire safe fairly cheap from amazon or a local safe company (200 dollars or less) and will protect your hard drive and any papers in case of fire and/or flooding.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

I knew somebody that kept their backup outside in a plastic bag in their wood pile which was covered by a tarp. I told them it wasn't the best place for a backup due to rising and falling temperatures and humidity. But, better than no backup.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I appreciate your replies.

I have considered buying a fireproof safe and may go that route.

But just for sake of discussion, could anyone respond as to whether storing the hard drive in a moisture-proof bag in a refrigerator would damage the drive due to the low-but-above-freezing temperature?

(The refrigerator is only a year or two old and a highly-rated brand; catching fire seems unlikely.)

Bill

I would not consider it safe. Unless you have a chain around the refrigerator it can easily come open in case of flooding or fire. Also it's not rated for fire damage so your hard drive would be destroyed if a fire occurred. You should keep all backup medium in one of 3 places.

1) On a cloud server. Not my particular favorite. If the company goes out of business you lose access. If the company goes bankrupt your data is owned by who ever buys the cloud storage company.

2) Physically store the backup off site. A friend or family's home or place of business. It should be far enough away that a single accident will not wipe out both places. For example a next door neighbor would not be a good choice. A safety deposit box in a bank would work fine but if you need your backup at 3am you are out of luck.

3) A good fireproof media rated safe. These can be in a burning home filled with water and your backup will stay safe. Also things like the mortgage, credit cards, passport... will all be safe.

My personal preference would by #2 followed by #3 followed by #1.

Bill
New York State, USA

Thanks for the straight talk. You answered my questions.

I'll look into buying a fireproof safe. When I need to update the files on the hard drive, I don't want to have to bother a neighbor, friend, relative, etc. That's just me.

As far as using a cloud is concerned, I already pay for Dropbox, and the amount of time needed to process one of these large files is unacceptable.

Bill

Sounds good. Just make sure that the fireproof safe is rated for computer media. A standard fireproof safe is rated for paper. However a temperature where paper will be fine can cause plastic to melt. Look for a safe that is MEDIA RATED. They are not that much more expensive but the protection is much more significant in a media rated safe

Bill
New York State, USA

Media rated" is good to know. When searching on Amazon, I didn't notice that notation on the safes I looked at.

I looked again just now. The cheapest was over $500, and other than that they were in the thousands of dollars. That's more than I would like to spend. Looks like I have some research to do.

Bill

Looks good.

Two prices are given, both with free shipping. One is $134 and the other $105. Hmm. Which to choose. Which to choose.

Thanks again.

Bill

Refrigerator Safe for External Hard Drive Storage?

Bit late to the thread but ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Of course, before using the hard drive, I'd bring it to room temperature.

And THAT is why it is a bad idea.

It is the changing of the temperature that is going to trash your hard drive very, very quickly.

Warming a HD up from the 3-6 degrees C of the average fridge to room temperature WILL create condensation internally and on the electronics.

If you do not want to buy a 'fireproof safe', go on ebay and buy an ex military metal ammunition box, and some Silica Gel sachets.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.

Never mind this jesus character, stars had to die for me to live.

Never too late, Chris.

Thanks for the info. I am not "indifferent" to it.

If such a box will work, that's great, because the locking feature on a safe is an unnecessary add-on.

Are the silica gel sachets for more than moisture absorption? If not, is there anything to line the box with to help insulate against the heat?

Bill

The locking feature is almost the most important feature of the entire safe. When you have a fire you will probably end up having debris fall on it or if it floods it will be pushed around by the water. Without a locking door it will not keep the contents safe. Without a locking fire safe, you might as will put it on a shelf.

Bill
New York State, USA

help insulate against the heat?{/quote]

Ummmm? They are made for holding ammunition safely during battle conditions, so unless you intend to fire an anti tank missile directly at it ... ...

And if you want to make it insulated, two layers of 9mm plasterboard (drywall for the Murcans) on the inside faces should give about three hours of thermal protection.

Chris.

Re: "The locking feature is almost the most important feature of the entire safe."

Good point. I meant to say a combination lock. I'm not familiar with ammo boxes, not having served in the Army, but I assume they have latches that would suffice.

Ammo_Box_Latch_fsrmud.jpg

Opinions on that?

(This is a fascinating and informative discussion, by the way.)

Bill

Actually, I used to store my backup hard drive outside in Michigan winters and brought it inside to be updated BEFORE I knew that it wasn't the smartest idea. But, it never failed to work AND I never even let it warm up before I plugged it in. Supposed I was lucky.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I discovered that when I changed my search description from "fireproof safe" to "fireproof security box," I found products closer to what I'm looking for.

For example, SentrySafe Fire Safe, Waterproof Fire Resistant Chest, .17 Cubic Feet, Extra Small, H0100CG. At Amazon, among many places.

It's listed at about $26 on Amazon (we have Prime) with free shipping. On eBay, when shipping is included, an ammo box typically costs about the same, give or take. And ammo boxes aren't media-certified.

As with most products, the SentrySafe box has both very good and very bad user reviews. For less than $5 extra, I can get a two-year warranty extension, if I want.

I'll continue doing some research but would welcome more comments.

Bill

They will work fine, however an actual locking safe can be used for multiple purposes
1) store your computer media
2) Store you important personal papers
3) store credit cards so you don't carry them with you
4) Store cash
5) store prescriptions

All safely and securely. However if all you want is to store your computer media then the box is the way to go.

Bill
New York State, USA

Actually, I used to store my backup hard drive outside in Michigan winters and brought it inside to be updated

The fact that a fridge is inside your property makes it inherently 'damp' as each time you open the door you allow in warmer, moist air which then condenses, and creates a film of 'frost', this is basic science and/or meteorology, warm moist air plus a colder environment == ice crystals, (it's called 'snow' when it happens outside) it is why a fridge requires 'defrosting' more often than the 'outside' world does.

Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back