Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Refreshing a drop-down list

Status
Not open for further replies.

barrylowe

Programmer
Nov 6, 2001
GB
Can anyone tell me the simplest way of refreshing a drop-down list.

I have a page which talks the user through a series of steps to link a document to a particular record in my database.

First they click a link which opens up an FTP window.

Thet then drag and drop the required file into the FTP window and close it.

They then need to select the newly added fil from a drop-down list which shows the filenames of all the files in the FTP folder.

My problem is that I need to get the user to refresh the drop-down list once they have added the new file so that it shows in the list.

Can anyone help?

Have your FTP window refresh the parent on close.

Design questions: Is it required for the user to see all of the files? Can you write the form to focus only on the uploaded file? Can't you code the FTP window to supply the parent with the name of the uploaded file, and do the refresh/highlight for the user?

Phil H.
Some Bank
-----------
Time's fun when you're having flies.

I have no idea if it is possible to code an FTP to behave in that manner. I would however be interested to see the code if anyone knows how to do it.

I have actually managed to resolve my issue by changing the buttons from Submit buttons to generic ones, then writing a javascript function which determines which button was clicked and sets the form action accordingly, then submits the form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back