Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Refresh object descriptions using External Strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

brettanicus

Technical User
Jun 26, 2002
US
In Designer, I've seen how to create objects with descriptions automatically populated from the Sys.User_Col_Comments in Oracle by using the Oracle External Strategy, but I'm wondering if these descriptions can be "refreshed" at a later time. It's a fairly new database, and I don't want to wait to create these objects for the DBA's to finish populating this column.
Thanks for any insight!

brett,

Possible to provide more info regarding your requirement. What kinda refresh are you looking at?? Is it new objects refresh or something else.

Sri

I've already created the objects by inserting "candidate objects", but since the database is fairly new, the DBA's haven't entered complete column descriptions in the Sys.User_Col_Comments field yet and only have some basic text in there. They will be getting around to this in about 4 to 7 weeks, but I don't want to wait that long to create my objects and start designing reports. So I'm wondering if I can insert the candidate objects now, but then in 4 weeks when they've entered more detailed information in the Sys.User_Col_Comments field, can I somehow "refresh" the object descriptions without having to create the objects again from scratch (which would then make the reports I've been developing not work anymore).

BO: 5.1.6
DB: Oracle 9.2.0.3
Using the standard Oracle External Strategy.
Thanks.

This would require use of the Designer SDK. Strategies won't UPDATE a universe without doing a bunch of coding.

Steve Krandel
BASE Consulting Group
skrandel@baseconsulting.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back