Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reformatting Hard Drive & Upgrading to Win98- which first? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercie

Technical User
Apr 17, 2002
US
I currently have Win95 but want to install Win98SE. I also want to reformat my hard drive so I can start from scratch. I want to do this the easiest way possible so should I reformat my hard drive first with Win95 and then install Win98 or install Win98 first and then reformat?

Hi,

Reformat first then install your OS's. Why would you install then format, you will just lose your install (that would be a complete waste of time and energy).

Do you know how to format and re-install. Here is my FAQ on how to do so, if you don't know how: FAQ748-1599 (this is in the Windows Millenium Forum, but the instructions are the same for Windows 95, 98, ME).

Hope this helps! NATE
spyderix.gif

fdisk and delete partition.
install 98. It will find the drive and fdisk, format , and install in the 3 steps. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

like edfair said
fdisk it with the Win98 Floppy and the format it FAT32
then install Win98SE

use the startup disk came with Win98 or you can custom make your own

Clean Install None Booting CD-Rom[ol][li]Backup all important data and make sure you have a Windows boot disk and code key.[/li][li]Boot computer with boot disk, At the A: prompt type "fdisk", answers yes to all. Reboot after completion (power off)....[/li][li]After Rebooting select boot with CD-Rom support. Type "format C: /S" to format and make your hard drive bootable. Name the drive if you want to..[/li][li]Type "MD C:\Win98. This Makes a dir. on the C Drive[/li][li]Insert your Windows CD and type "X:" (where X is your cd-rom drive)[/li][li]Type cd win9x (this will put you in the win9x dir.)[/li][li]Now type copy "*.* C:\win9x" (this copies all Files from the cd win9x dir. to the hard drive win9x dir.)[/li][li]After all files are copy to H/D shut down and restart from hard drive..[/li][li]Type "cd win9x" once there type "setup" ..[/li][li]Follow the on screen instructions...[/li][/ol]

Where as "Win9X = Win95 or Win98 Some adjustments may need to be done for your machine.....

Reinstall Windows or upgrading
1) Place your Windows CD into the CD-ROM drive
2) A window should pop up with a install or upgrade button, click it and follow the on screen instructions
3) If the window didn't pop up click on My Computer which is located on the desktop
4) Locate the CD-ROM icon which contains the Windows CD and double click on it
5) Locate Setup.exe and double click on it, then follow the on screen instructions

Think that's it, hope it helps some.
"More Than Merely Names"
YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN

Many thanks to all of you who answered!! I've been out of town and haven't been able to get started but I did manage to test my boot disk and find all my drivers today. I'm tackling the reformatting/upgrading tomorrow.

I do have one more question. In my absence someone tried to reinstall Windows 95 on my computer (I have no idea why!). When I booted up my comp today it stopped at the C:\ and I had to type in 'win' in order to get to Windows. I've been told that this means the reinstall was never completed (although the computer seems to be working fine). If I do nothing about this, will it affect my reformatting/upgrade in any way? In other words, do I now have to go through the hassle of reinstalling Windows 95 (so as to finish the partial installation), then reformat and then upgrade to Windows 98SE? Or can I just proceed with the reformatting since I'm going to be upgrading anyway?

I might seem a bit overcautious but I've never done this and really want it to go smoothly. Thanks again!

no, when you fdisk and remove the existing partition any previous OS will disappear. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Mercie,

All you need is to go to Autoexec.bat and type in win on the next line

reboot will work

be sure you use the win 98 SE ONLY boot disk in A: to do anything to the new HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back