Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reformating Compressed C: Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanie

Programmer
Jan 20, 2000
US
Good morning,
I am going crazy and hope that one of you can assist me.

My computer has two hard drives - 4g (c:) and 15g. Before I had the 15g installed, c: was running out of space. At one point I compressed the c:. (bad move i think, and to top that off I did it three more times!)

I really am having lots of problems now with space on C: and want to reformat the compressed c: drive and reinstall all the software. I have performed the following functions, but am unable to format c:
1. made boot disk (seems to work fine, recognizing the cd-rom okay)
2. have original WIN98 SE full version
3. using FDISK have removed the particians

I have tried format c: - no luck, says to use DRVSPACE /FORMAT C: - no luck.

I want to get back to a 4g hardrive, not compressed, and use the 15g as storage for most programs and data files. How can I do this?

Thank you in advance for any and all help.

Lanie
etroidl@conaxfl.com

You boot to the Win98 boot disk and use FDISK. First kill (delete) all LOGICAL DRIVES, then kill the all partitions on the drive. Then reboot and runfdisk again. Then create new primary partition. Then format the drive. You follow these steps you should not have a problem. If you do you can try option 2, go to explorer and delete all non essential program files. Then DECOMPRESS the drive. once the drive is decompressed you should be able to boot to a boot disk and format the drive.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back