Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reflecting accurate elapsed times

Status
Not open for further replies.

maddyyikes

IS-IT--Management
Jul 19, 2004
US
Hi,
I have two fields in the database named {probsummarym1.opentime} and {probsummarym1.closetime} They are datetime fields. I manually calculate the difference between these two times by using the following formula:

numbervar tsecs := datediff("s",{probsummarym1.open.time},{probsummarym1.close.time});
numbervar ndays := truncate(tsecs/86400);
tsecs := remainder(tsecs,86400);
numbervar nhours := truncate(tsecs/3600);
tsecs := remainder(tsecs,3600);
numbervar nmin := truncate(tsecs/60);
tsecs := remainder(tsecs,60);

if nhours-24<=0 then totext(ndays,0)+" days "+totext(nhours,0)+" hours "+ totext(nmin,0)+
" minutes "+totext(tsecs,0)+" seconds "

However, the {probsummarym1.closetime} field is not consistent in its data entry (system generated data for the field). Since it is a date time field, most records contain the date and timestamps, however, there are a few records which contain only the timestamps and they mostly reflect 12:00:00 AM. In these cases the above formula renders an output as follows:
0 days 0 hours 0 minutes 0 seconds
which is not the accurate elapsed time. Please advise as to how should the function be modified so that the elapsed time reflects accurate values irrespective of the date and timestamps not being completely generated by the system at the time of data entry.

I think you need to specify what you would want to use for a null close datetime--currentdatetime? Try changing the following variable:

numbervar tsecs;
if isnull({probsummarym1.close.time}) then
tsecs := datediff("s",{probsummarym1.open.time}, currentdatetime) else
tsecs := datediff("s",{probsummarym1.open.time},{probsummarym1.close.time});

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back