Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Referral fees

Status
Not open for further replies.

vwphone

Programmer
Mar 9, 2005
US
Wondering what you guys were paying in referral fees to those that bring you work. I have a telecom broker that occasionally brings me leads. If he brings me a lead that pans out, what should I pay him? Doing research has brought me no closer to an answer so I thought I would ask the question of my fellow business owners/phone guys.

What is the appropriate amount to pay someone that brings you work?

Typically we pay leads by a percentage of the deal depending on the Gross Profit Margin. So if I landed a job that lets say material cost would be $20k and I mark it up for material, labor etc by 18% over actual cost my Profit would be $3600.00. Then I agree top pay 10% of my profit margin as a lead which would come to $360.00.

This was a knock off of a formula back in the day where sales who worked for any company who have leads given to them got say 5% commission and if they brought their own leads to the table made 7% which allowed them to cut happy customers a deal for leads to be 2% of the total cost of the sale which had a great trickle down effect from receptionists and company owners on keeping the leads coming in.

I felt 10% of profit is a good lead reward but obviously you could dictate your percentage higher or lower to entice the lead provider and be fair. I would steer clear of setting a single lead $$ amount in case the lead didn't make you very much profit.

Hope this helps.

If It's Not Broken...Don't Fix It!

Stephen Webb
Norstar, BCM and IP Office Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back