Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Referencing variables in OLEDB description in SSIS Connection Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

PROPAR

Programmer
Oct 25, 2001
FR
I'd like to use variables in my OLEDB description of my SSIS package connection.

How can I name my @[User::BASE] and @[User::SERVER] variables in the "Initial Catalog" and "Data Source" respectively in my Connection Manager window when I build my connection ?

What is the correct way to reference those variables ?

(I had no problem with my SQL 2000 DTS package, using the global variables names BASE and SERVER in those same fields, but the SSIS beats me).

Thanks for your help.

From my work so far you can't dynamically create connections by using variables and assigning to a data source or data destination. However you can set up dynamic variables for connections and such. While on the Control Flow you Select Select SSIS from your menu under that you would selet Package configurations. You can store your configs in a variety of formats XML and SQL are probably the best. The process of assinging these will also create the needed records. The gotcha to this is that if you are using this to set your OLE DB data sources and you use SQL the issue becomes you can't have a datasource stored in a SQL table telling the package where to get it's connection. The solution to this is a Datasource for your configuration, which you store in an XML file. Make sure all of your Package Configurations use this data source to get their properties. THe package configurations also are loaded in the order they appear in the editor so your Cofig connection retrieved from the XML file should be first.

Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!
- Daffy Duck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back