Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Referencing the new IE that pops from a link

Status
Not open for further replies.

EzLogic

Programmer
Aug 21, 2001
US
** I posted this in the Automation link..
Has anyone been successfull in 'referencing' and 'touching' the new IE window that pops from a link on the original IE.

For example.

I do the:
oIE = createobject('InternetExplorer.Application')

On the oIE window, there is a link that opens a new nIE.
from this point on, i can only 'touch' oIE and not nIE.

how can i reference the new IE that opens from a link that is clicked automatically?

Ali Koumaiha
Wireless Toyz
Farmington Hills, Michigan

Under the Faqs sections of the General VFP topic there is some help on getting handles to external windows and processes. My guess is that you will have to identify all processes of IE and then iterate through child windows to find the one you're looking for (my preference would be to use WMI rather than API). Unless somebody can suggest a more clever way of doing this you're looking at a fair bit of code since it seems you're going to have to fill a data structure with IE info before you launched yours (user could already have other instances running) and then compare periodically. That being said I don't see how you can ever distinguish 'your' new window from one that was launched externally. I haven't toyed with automating tabs in IE7 so you may have to look at how that is handled as well.

Sounds interesting, hope you have some fun with it.

Ralph Kolva

Ali

This function return a cursor with all you need, including the Hwnd, and window title of your pop-up. (It does including everything that running on your system).

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.
ReFox XI (www.mcrgsoftware.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back