Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

referencing tape device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
i have a exabyte 220 with ame225 m2 tapes

i am not using amanda or any other software to do my backing up i am trying to just tar a file onto my tape and untar it back to the directory

i am able to tar the information onto my tape but when i try to untar it cannot find the tar file on my tape device.
to tar i used the commands

tar -czv /test > /dev/tape

to untar i tried

tar -xzv /dev/tape/test.tar.gz

it says the file does not exist does anyone know what im doing wrong?

I'm having this exact same problem with a 220 with Mammoth drives installed (but using 170m AME Mammoth tapes). Have you (or anyone else) figured out anything yet? I also tried the 'dd' command to attempt a tape dump, but that was also unsuccessful. I'm running SGI's IRIX 6.5.3, but it shouldn't be that different.

Try "tar cvf /dev/rmt/0 ." while in high level directory you want to tar. If you want to put the tar log to a file for review add " > /directory/filename" to the end of the command. Your tape might not be rmt/0 so substitute with the apropriate device.

Also, I can't find the "z" option on my solaris 2.6 or 8 manpage. What is that option and what tar are you using?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back