Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Referencing an icon that doesnt exist in the icon collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Streetdaddy

Programmer
Jun 10, 1999
AU
My toolbar sets all the icons by referencing them to a keyname. <br>
<br>
The icon collection has 23 icons, but one of the keynames references icon 24, which doesn't exist? Yet it still displays the mystery icon in the toolbar! The actual icon definitely doesn't exist in the collection...<br>
I have searched for the icon and can't find it anywhere on my HD, so where else could it be coming from?

What EXACTLY does the icon look like? (believe it or not; this IS important)

It isnt a system icon or anything. It is specific to the application. I have actually seen the icon before, but its not on my HD anywhere? Its an icon of a green pile of rocks...

Hmmm........<br>
Have you tried lokking through ALL of the icons contained in EVERY *.exe *.dll AND *.ico file on your ENTIRE PC??<br>
<br>
(HINT: you might try doing searches for each of these file types; then going through an icon chooser [like the one you get when you click "change icon" in the PROPERTIES of a shortcut] and viewing the icons in each one)<br>
<br>
Why I asked what the icon looked like is because there are MANY "trojans" out there that may put an extra, possibly invisible, program in your runtime (and thus, possibly, an extra icon on your toolbar)<br>
<br>
<br>
-Robherc<br>
robherc@netzero.net

Yes, Robherc.<br>
<br>
I havent checked for embedded icons! Ill do that now. Thankfully I have already dloaded a good app that does that!<br>
<br>
The other ppl here and I are baffled by this problem?<br>
I hope it isn't some kind of trojan, but Im confident that it isn't. Ill get back to you on this 8)<br>
<br>
Miles

OK; I'll be waiting to hear of your findings! (I;m sorta interested by this as well; but I'm pretty sure you'll find it embedded somewhere...at least that's where all of the mystery icons I've ever found have come from.<br>
<br>
<br>
-Robherc<br>
robherc@netzero.net

Well, it was stashed away amongst a bunch of directories~<br>
<br>
I was relieved to find it, but I was &%#$#@ off about it being an image, not an icon! Its just a bitmap! Arggghh!<br>
<br>
I still can't work out how it gets referenced from the icon collection though...<br>
And get this! If I use a different dataset, the mystery icon dissapears! Its getting weirder and weirder...<br>
<br>
Thankfully Im off to see Austin Powers 2 tonight...

Sounds to me like it's just getting Windowser & Windowser ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back