Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

References Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

debot54

Programmer
May 19, 2001
US
OK...enough of these misleading error messages! I have been struggling for almost a week on the problem of adding a reference to the file Mso9.dll. The file was originally located in the Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office folder. However, for reasons I won't get into, I copied this file to another directory.

This is where things get interesting. When I went to add a reference to the file located in the original location it worked fine. I then unchecked the reference and selected the other copy. What happens?

Can't add a reference to the specified file

This of course implies that this file can't be used by VBA. Say what?! I just used it while it was in another directory! So why can't it use it now? Nobody seems to know. It has NOTHING to do with what Microsoft states is the cause of this error message. I even built my own library (for something else) and successfully added a reference to it. However, once again when I copied it to another location and attempted to add it as a reference again (yes, I removed the previous one first) I get that same stupid message.

Does anybody know the REAL reason I am having problems? I would appreciate any help other than the direction Microsoft was pointing me to!

Guessing, but it could be because it's registered. See if you can find it in RegEdit (Start|Run|Regedit)

Thanks, but I looked there already. And that wouldn't explain why the library I built and added a reference to worked, but after moving it it wouldn't work anymore. However, I do believe that what you are alluding to is probably the source of my problem i.e. some type of an entry somewhere telling Access something!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back