Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reference to external application API causing issues 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

1DMF

Programmer
Jan 18, 2005
GB
Hi,

We use PDFCreator API to dynamically convert Word documents to PDF with VBA.

We have a Vista machine which crashes periodically when PDF Creator is invoked through the access application.

I installed the latest version of PDF Creator to see if this would help, but the access DB started to throw weird errors such as queries would no longer run saying that the 'Format' function didn't exist?

So I installed the latest version of PDF Creator on my PC and re-compiled the access application, which then ran fine, only all those users who still had the old version of PDF Creator experienced application funkiness, where forms wouldn't open and code didn't run.

I uninstalled PDF Creator and re-installed the old version, re-compiled the access application and it started working normally for all those who had the old version of PDF Creator installed, but the Vista machine wouldn't run the DB with the 'Format' function error?

The question I have is why?

The access DB simply has a tick in the 'references' section for PDF Creator, not a specific version, so why does the DB behave like this?

How does the version of PDF Creator I have installed when compiling the Access application into a run-time affect the way the DB runs (or not) as the case may be?

Does access import something from anything referenced?

It can't be including the DLL API from PDF Creator , because the DB won't work unless the users machine has PDF Creator installed.

Help understanding why this happens and what if anything can be done so I can compile the DB regardless of the version of PDF Creator is installed and have the Access application use what ever version of PDF Creator is installed on the end users machine without this application weirdness.

All input is greatly appreciated.

1DMF.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Free Dance Music Downloads

Vagaries of Vista? PDF Creator install for vista uses different dll versions maybe?

I'm wondering if late binding to the PDF Creator object would at least solve your compile issue, if not that vista machine as well. I remember wrangling with WinFax APIs and discovering one machine wouldnt work without dropping back to late binding - that I have to thank others for. Although the WinFax versions were identical, and references were maintained, something weird had happened to the install on that XP machine.

Interested to hear how you go with this one, and maybe others have direct PDF Creator working knowledge.

Brad Stevens

Well the late binding approach has resolved the compile issues and is allowing the use of differing installed versions of PDF Creator.

It's early days whether this newer version of PDF Creator will be any more stable on Vista though!

Thanks for the suggestion.

"In complete darkness we are all the same, it is only our knowledge and wisdom that separates us, don't let your eyes deceive you."

"If a shortcut was meant to be easy, it wouldn't be a shortcut, it would be the way!"

Free Dance Music Downloads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back