Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reference other sections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloke152

Programmer
Aug 9, 2005
NO
Hi Guys,
Im writing a report that is going to export to xml.
The report has multiple detail sections as I need this for the receiver of the xml.

My question is, How can I have a formula field, that can appear on both detail sections but show different values.

What I specifically need is a field that will show the supplier number on details a but will not show it on detail b. It still needs to appear on details b so that it gets entered into the xml in that block.

Anyone have any ideas? I think I have seen formulas that reference other sections before but cant remember the syntax.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Oh and crystal reports 2008
Cheers

Your post does not make sense in that you say you want a field not to 'show' in detail_b, but you still need it to 'appear' there. Do you mean you need it to reserve the space but not show? Would simply suppressing it in detail_b do the trick?

-LB

suppress the field in details b or possibly even just turn it's text color to white
???

thanks for your replies.
Yes, I need to reserve the space in details b. It seems that surpressing the field leaves it out of the xml export though. I basically need a field that appears in both deatils a and details b but has the value in details a but be blank in detail b. However the field still has to be present and not surpressesed in details b.

A field can't have different values in details_a and details_b because both sections are referencing the same row of data. I think you will have to experiment with this--maybe try using a text box in detail_b in place of the field. Or try a formula that contains this: "" or maybe contains spaces: " ". Not sure.

-LB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back