Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

REFERENCE A WKSHT FROM ANOTHER WHILE FILTERING/QUERYING

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrgrmsAll

Programmer
Apr 8, 2003
US
Is there a way that I can treat a worksheet in Excel like a database table and then query it? For example, I have two worksheets in a workbook. wksA and wksB. In wksA(A1) i want to insert a count of the number of records in wksB that have the value '01' in the LOCATION column and the value '500' in the SUPPLIER column. In a database query I would simply do a "SELECT COUNT(*) from wksB WHERE LOCATION = '01' AND SUPPLIER = '500';"

Any advice would be helpful. I should add that I want to avoid actually having to import wksB into Access or some other DB. Also, wksA(A1) is the first cell in a 600 cell matrix that will need to run queries on wksB's data.

You may create a query on the spreadsheet with MS-Query:
menu Data -> Get external Data -> Create a query

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Look at the EXCEL DCOUNT function. With a little tweaking this will do what you want.

Well, not sure if it will. I my source is actually a spreadsheet, not a database. Do I have to create a DSN pointing to the spreadsheet and then create the query that way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back