Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Redundant WAN Link router options

Status
Not open for further replies.

fi3ndlich

IS-IT--Management
Apr 19, 2011
US
Our company is currently in the process of adding in a second point-to-point WAN link between our 2 main offices. I am looking for suggestions as to what type of router and router configuration to use that will allow us to fail over to the second link if the first link goes down and then switch back over once it comes back up but we would also like to be able to route certain traffic to the second link even if the first link is online such as disaster recovery data, replication, backup etc.

I am a novice at best when it comes to Cisco and networking so I am simply looking for advice to determine what type of router to purchase. We do not have to go with Cisco if there are better or easier alternatives.

Currently I am using older 1800 series routers between some of our branch sites and using IP SLA to fail over to a VPN connection if the circuit goes down which works and I can probably do the same type of configuration once we have our second WAN connection setup between our main sites but I did not know if there was a better way to do this considering we still want to use the second link for some traffic while the main link was up.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.
KJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back