Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Redundant Navigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielh68

Technical User
Jul 31, 2001
US
Hi.

I'm building a site and I have a redundant navigation system. This is intentional, but now I'm having second thoughts. Most in my company like the direction of the site I'm developing, however a fellow co-worker mentioned that I should remove the top menu because it's redundant. He's right; however, somewhere I read that good navigation offers many routes to any one particular page. With this in mind, I thought some might natural gravitate towards the top, while some to the side. More or less, strategic redundancy. I'm curious, how others might feel about this. Any insights? Oh yeah, the site is and remember it's far from completion.

Thanks,
DanH

i like it the way it is. gives a choice and i can go to the nearest mouse point to navigate. there is just a little negative tough. some people may assume there's different content in he top menu Ranjan
fragments of dream, weave them together

Thanks, guys. It might remain or it might evolve into something else. Nonetheless, it's valuable to receive other designer's opinion.

Funny thing is, my desk has replaced the water cooler as the most popular place for company employees to converse. Man, it can be frustrating: everyone has to put in their two-cents and a bag of chips. If another person points to my screen and blurts, " You know what would be REALLY COOL???!!!", my head will implode into a human supernova.

Thanks again,
DanH

Hi,

I'd definitly leave it, as you said some people tend to gravitate towards the top and some to the left. One should be simple navigation, the other a little more detailed, imo.

Btw, i'm not crazy about the thick black line on the left of the main picture.

É

endamcg-logo1b.gif

I really like the site too. Good Job
star.gif
colorado.gif

¡Buena Suerte!

The navigation is great... good sites offer more than one way of navigating anywhere... it should be clear that the 2 options go to the same place.

It would be really cool if your current position within the site was highlighted in the side menu (ducks and runs as Dan goes supernova)

Again, I appreciate the comments and insight. It gives me some backing when I attend my next meeting with the marketing execs. Everyday, I deal with "it would be cool" or "here's an idea" and these notions are fine, but it deviates from the intial blue print of the site. Plus, I have a dead line to meet. I'm sticking with the current navigation, so I can focus on creating more graphics for the existing page.

A million thanks,
DanH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back