Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Redundant Mail Server...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pronstar

MIS
Aug 26, 2002
US
All,

I apologize in advance if this is a beginner like question, but here goes...

We have 2 Exchange Servers (5.5) in one site. Both have IMC's configured. I understand that the original plan was that if one server (primary server with primary MX record) went offline, the second server (secondary mail server with secondary MX Record) would queue any mail sent to our domain. (BTW, both servers are configured to deny relaying...) I have not tested if this works by stopping the IMC on primary, however, I have tried to send mail to the secondary server... Now from the configuration that I am looking at, mail sent to that server (secondary) should be accepted as inbound if coming to our domain. However, I am getting a bounce back saying that relaying is prohibited.
* First, any ideas as to why I am getting this bounceback?
* Second, is this setup ok for Redundancy? Or do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for all assistance!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back