Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Redundant hard drives failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

dred

Technical User
Apr 13, 2000
CA
what should be the correct procedure in the event of hard drive failure if you notice an amber light on the RAID controller?
I believe I should first replace the RAID controller, then the failed hard drive and then reconfigure RAID.

Is the light on the controller, or one of the drives?<br><br>If it's on the controller, does the controller have battery backup? (i.e. Does the battery need replacing?)<br><br>Do you have the RAID configuration utility?&nbsp;&nbsp;If so, what does it say?&nbsp;&nbsp;If you're using a Netfinity server, the RAID config program is located on the 2nd CDROM (labeled 'Soft Pak' or something).&nbsp;&nbsp;Be sure not to do something dangerous, like delete your logical volume!<br><br>Chip H.<br>

The light is on the controller and it does have battery backup. There is no data on the drives andf the RAID configuration after replacing the drive and bringing 2 drives on line indicated 3 physical drives and 3logical drives attached t 1 of the physical drives.<br><br>BY ignoring the light and the existing RAID configuration on this Netfinity server I should not have been surprised that all 3 drives failed within a week.

dred-<br><br>That sounds like an odd configuration... 3 physical drives have 3 logical volumes, but they're attached to only one of the physical drives... That seems to say to me that your configuration is something like:<br><br>P1:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L1<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L2<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L3<br>P2: &lt;empty&gt;<br>P3: &lt;empty&gt;<br><br>Obviously, you've got no redundancy like this.&nbsp;&nbsp;I would expect your 3 logical drives to be spread across all 3 physical drives in order to provide the most protection.<br><br>In any case, is your Netfinity system under maintenance?&nbsp;&nbsp;If so, you should be able to call IBM and have them come out and replace the defective drive(s) free of charge.&nbsp;&nbsp;They can't replace any data you might have lost, of course &lt;g!&gt;.<br><br>It's been my experience with IBM drives that they last a good amount of time, but as soon as one goes, any others you bought at the same time will follow it within a short amount of time.&nbsp;&nbsp;Which you seem to have experienced, too.<br><br>Chip H.<br>

The LED on the RAID controller may not be anything other than the controller is online. I agree your drive arrangement appears to be unusual. It appears you have 3 HDs with 1 HD in a RAIL level 0 with 3 partitions.

What type of RAID adapter are you using? What RAID level do you have configured, 0, 1 or 5? What is your NOS? Do you have the RAIDAdmin utilities loaded?

lej

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back