Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Redundancy in ISA Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul123456

Technical User
Apr 29, 2002
US
Hey fellas i would like to get 2 servers going in the same domain and somehow go the default gateways for both the machines to go to my single gateway? if one server were to go down i would like the other to take over and allow all traffic to be directed to it for internet access. would i have to install a router between my gateway and isa servers? or can i just get away with a hub/switch? also how does this work if they have my isp's static ip? if one cuts off will the other start up?

Thanks, PAUL

paul,

You can set an array of two ISAs.
On IE, Tools-->Internet Options-->Connections-->LAN Settings-->Proxy Server, you can select a name (htttp.yourenterprise.com)instand of a IP address, and set round-robin on your DNS with the IP addresses of you two ISAs so, when any user do a request, IE will ask to DNS the IP address of the name, and get any address of them. This can be helpfull in the case when one of them fall, because the another ISA still be up and getting requests

Oh i c..thats pretty neat. but does the default gateway matter? but will i need to configure both external nics on the servers with the same internet ip address? won't that cause problems?

Thanks, PAUL

Hi,

We have 2 outs to Internet, one for each proxy. As you say, I think the default gateway for both proxies it must be the IP address of router´s ethernet and each proxy with different IP address connected by a switch.

Hi,

I have two internet connection each one with a router, the first one has x.x.x.1 as Ethernet IP address, the another has y.y.y.1 as Ethernet IP address so, one ISA has as default gateway x.x.x.1 and the second one, y.y.y.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back