Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reducing size of publication 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

haknuman

Technical User
Jun 23, 2004
GB
I have a publication in pagemaker 6.5. It is 420 MB due to imported BMPs. My printer is reducing the size of the overall publication to 10% of it's original size and as a result the graphics are heavily pixelated. (I cannot affect printer settings). I deleted the BMPs and replaced them with files half the original size but the overall file size of the publication remains the same? Can anyone tell me why this might be? I could always export the text and re-import the pics but would rather not, I've worked enough on this already.
Can anyone help?
Phil.
(Also on phil_wingfield@condoris.net)

Phil

Your workflow is all wrong.

First, BMPs are possibly one of the worst raster file formats you can use. They are usually very large files. Open them in an image editor and save them as a TIF.

Second, do NOT embed the graphics in the PM document. They should be LINKED, not embedded.

Third, make sure your preferences are set to 'save smaller' not the default 'save faster'.

Fourth, make sure the images are at 100% of the final size required before final placement in PM. Do not crop or resize in PM - except for initial placement. Once you have decided on the size they should be, go back to the image editor and resize accordingly (check the % info on the Control Palette in PM and use same percentage in Photoshop).

Fifth, make sure you PLACE the graphics, do NOT use copy/paste or insert object.

Sixth, make sure the resolution of the graphics are suited to the output device. For offset printing, they need to be 300 dpi CMYK. For desktop printing, 200 dpi RGB is sufficient.

Finally use 'save as' rather than just 'save' - this will decrease file size considerably. You can give it the same name (save over the top of the existing file) or give it a new name.

To back up Eggles on this, Save As can reduce a file by several hundred MB. Just using Save keeps all the previous version plus your changes. Save As either writes a new file with just the essentials and a new name, or a new file with the old name (and just the essentials) while the old version is discarded. This isn't just PM - it's the same in many applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back