Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

reducing images 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdubz

Technical User
Apr 28, 2002
hi this is somewhat in the same vein as a prior question of mine, but i was wondering if anyone could lend a hand...

when designing a logo with graph lines, and type, when i save as jpg and email it to the client it is fuzzy... and distorted... also, the image will be larger on letterhead than it will on a buisness card, and selecting all and scaling seems to make it illegible. what is the trick to get a small graphic crisp and readable?

in addition, my client wants me to put the image in a msword doc so he can see what the letterhead will look like... is this always going to kind of look bad?

thanks in advance..

Hi, here is my two cents worth. How are you creating the JPG? Are you using Illustrators Export>JPG command. If so make sure Quality is set to ten and select antialias. If you have already done so and are not happy with the result try opening the AI file in Photoshop and use save for web. Now the result will definately be good enough for client to proof (minimal fuzzy and zero distortion).

With the rescaling thing I'm not sure what your problem is there. Is the logo a complete vector created in Illustrator? If so you should be able to resize very small and it will still be legible. Try converting type to outlines first but this shouldn't be necessary. On screen it may not look perfectly crisp but it will print fine. Of course if there are any raster elements in the logo they will not resize well.

About Word. Just remember it is a word processing software and it is not designed to display graphics at quality but they will print fine. I suggest you save the logo as a 300dpi tiff to place in the Word Document, it will create a larger file to email but the quality will be far better that the JPG. If your client just wants to see the logo on screen I suggest you talk them into a PDF. You can set your Illustrator artboard as an A4/letter size, stick the logo in place as the letterhead then distill a PDF at the same A4/Letter size to emulate a full sheet of letterhead paper and it will look crisp on screen unlike the Word doc.

wow, that is the best information i have ever gotten... very detailed! thank you! thank you! thank you!

One thing about Word: try exporting the Illustrator file as a WMF or EMF. These are vector formats that Word understands, and while not as good as EPS files, they should make a good substitute for this kind of situation. Should keep the file size down too...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back