Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Reduce file size of report PDF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moss100

Technical User
Aug 10, 2004
GB
Hello,

I am emailing a report as a PDF.

I would expect it to be around 30k, but it is around
350k.

Is there anything that can be done to reduce it?

Also I would be interested to know why Access bloats it.

Many thanks. Mark.

Ps. I have taken all graphics out of the report.

In Adobe click on File, Save As, Reduced Size PDF. In the Dialog Box select the most recent version that it must be compatible with. The farther back you go, the larger the file will be.
I have complex reports that aren't that large. Without seeing the report that's all I can suggest.

That, or using Acrobat's built-in PDF Optimizer is the easiest way, yes - but I don't think the OP is using Acrobat.

Moss100 presumably you've tried selecting 'Minimum size' option when creating PDF from Access?

Most of the freebie PDF compressors work by compressing the images in the PDF file (which is why they normally ask what quality you want). No images (as per OP), bugger all compression ...

strongm you are correct. I missed the part about no images. Sorry about that.

Hello, thanks for the help.

In the end I found the solution.

My database was using the standard font Calibri. When a PDF is created by access 2013, it stores the font in the PDF if its not one already registered.

Making sure that all fonts were say in Arial reduced the size alot.

The size in Calibri would be around 400k for the pdf.
The size in Arial would be around 25k for the pdf.

So even having a single letter in Calibri bloats the PDF by around 8 fold.

Hope this helps

Regards Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back